Monday, February 9, 2009

Today, me, my ride.

Today was the first day in a while where it's been actually warm. I've spent some of the winter off my bike. Early on I discovered a treasure trove of cash on a CTA card of mine. This, with the combination of injured knee, has resulted in me staying off the bike somewhat. I'd say about 2 to 3 days a week I would commute by bike, the rest by bus/train.

Being so warm made me want to be out riding. I have the gear for super cold weather, just not will.

Also this evening I patched some jeans. Pretty much the last pair I have. Some more are on order, but these will have to do for the week. I spent about four hours on the patch. I can sew, but only barely. The patch is definitely amateurish, but it'll work. I do like the DIY aspect of it though. Saddles eat through the seat of jeans.

Since this is my first post, I'll fill in to those of you who might be reading who I am. I'm a overweight web developer from Chicago. I hope this blog will help me keep motivation for loosing weight going. Also share some of the bike knowledge and experiences with others.

For over a year now I've been on the bike. I started because my roommate did. My mom was dying at the time and I really needed a release. Biking was it. Soon after I discovered West Town Bikes. A charity that does bike programs for youth and adults. I took their build-a-bike course. I've been volunteering there ever since and I'd like to think I'm pretty good with a wrench now.

What I ride. I have and old 1995 Novara Arriba-LT frame, steel like god intended. That frame is pretty much all that's left from it's origional state. I have it setup with Velocity Psycho 26 inch rims, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires (never had a flat on them), butterfly bars. I have old shimano deore thumb shifters, which are amazing. Finally I have a WTB saddle.

I find all the things I've listed to be excelent. Took me over a year to find what would haul me around. I'm a big guy. Right now I'm over 300 pounds. The Psychos hold up amazingly. The WTB also fits me well. In later posts I'll expand on these particular parts and how I got to having them.

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment